If you would like more information regarding a name on this list, please contact the Alumni Office at 802.485.2100 or email@example.com
. Please note that we do not have a detailed obituary for all names listed, but those we do are clickable links to the full obituary below. Obituaries that appear below were provided by the family or friends of the deceased to inform the Norwich community.
William F. Betts
Edward C. Polidor
William A. Stebbins
William F. Betts
William F. Betts, 97, of Cedar Key, FL entered the larger life on Monday, January 11, 2010, under the gentle and compassionate care of the staff of Haven Hospice in Chiefland, FL. He was born on July 25, 1913 in Chicago, IL to Leon M. and Bessie McDuffie Betts.
He graduated from Norwich University in 1935 with a bachelor of arts in English. While at Norwich, William was a member of Phi Kappa Delta, the basketball team, glee club, and maroon key. He was also an assistant editor for the Guidon and an editor for the War Whoop, and served as class treasurer and class secretary for a year each.
William spent his forty-year business career with the Association of American Railroads, primarily in Washington, DC. After his retirement in 1976 as a vice president, he settled in Cedar Key, FL with his wife, Janet Hale Bets, a Cedar Key native. William was a founding member of the Cedar Key Historical Society, which he served as vice president, and he was active in the Cedar Key Lions Club. While living in suburban Washington, DC, he served a term as mayor of the Town of Somerset, Chevy Chase, Maryland. He was an active member of St. John's Episcopal Church, Bethesda, MD, where he served on the vestry as Senior Warden, and of Christ Church, Cedar Key, where he served as treasurer for over twenty years. A lifelong devoted golfer, he was a member of the Norwich University golf team, and he continued to play into his nineties.
His wife, whom he married in 1940, died in 2008. He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Charles Hale and Patricia Kady Betts of Washington, DC; his daughter and son-in-law, Jane Cringan and Samuel S. Ireland of Gaithersburg, MD; three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
Edward C. Polidor
Edward C. Polidor, 97, of Port St. Lucie, FL passed away Thursday, May 21, 2009 at his home. He was born in Springfield, VT and had been a resident of Port St. Lucie for the past 32 years after moving there from Rochester, NY.
Ed graduated from Norwich in 1935. While at Norwich he was a member of the Geology Club, Maroon Key, Outing Club, Pistol Club, the Rescue Team, Riding Club, track team, drill team, Glee Club, and Skull & Swords. He was also a brother of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and played for the football team, basketball team, baseball team, and golf team. Ed was a member of the 1819 Circle and was a Two Star General of the Partridge Society. Ed was a WWII veteran and served as an officer in the United States Army. He was an engineer and founder of Optical Gaging Products Inc. and worked for 37 years in Rochester, NY. He was a member of St. Bernadette Catholic Church of Port St. Lucie, FL.
Survivors include a son, Edward Tarry (Patricia) Polidor '64 of Webster, NY, a daughter, Linda, five grandchildren, and nine great grandchildren.
William Alfred Stebbins
William Alfred Stebbins, b. Sept. 11, 1911, Norwich, CT., was a graduate of the Norwich Free Academy, Norwich, CT and Norwich University, Northfield, VT, graduating in 1935, with a commission of 2nd lieutenant. While at Norwich he studied civil engineering, he was a member of the rifle team and a fraternity member where he was called upon on many occasions to play the piano. He married Dora Margaret Fletcher on 11 August 1934.
Three children were born of this union. He began his civilian career as a civil engineer working for a private road construction company, the Troy Paving Company of Argyle, NY, for a short time before moving to Montpelier, VT. There he was employed by the VT State Highway Department designing bridges. After his service in World War II he moved to Burlington, VT where he was the city engineer and Superintendent of the Burlington Street Department. After several years he was appointed superintendent of the Burlington Electric Light Department, a position he held until his retirement in 1975. The department’s operation center was named after him upon his retirement. When not working he was always very active with hunting, fishing, boating and model railroading. He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, past president of the VT Society of Engineers, past president of the VT Electrical Association, a director of VT Yankee Electric Power Company. He was also a member of Aurora Masonic Lodge, Montpelier, VT.
He had an active military career. He joined the National Guard in 1931 as a private with the 172nd Infantry Regiment of the 43rd Division at Northfield, VT. Just prior to the outbreak of World War II, his division was called to active duty and trained at various military bases in the south. During this time his family made many moves to be able to remain near him. The division was sent to the South Pacific in early 1942 and the family returned to Montpelier, VT, residing at 11 St. Paul St. He fought in three campaigns in the southwest Pacific during World War II with the 172nd Regiment. In 1942, he and thousands of New Englanders were rescued from the Coolidge, a former luxury liner converted to a troop ship and sank after hitting two mines as it was leaving the harbor of Espiritu Santo, now part of the island nation of Vanuatu in the southwest Pacific. During the Korean war he was recalled to active duty with the 43rd Infantry Division and stationed in West Germany, serving as the division G-4 (logistics officer). After returning from Germany, after a two year tour, he returned to the street department and city engineering duties. He also commanded the 172d Infantry Regiment. From 1958 to 1963, he served as the Assistant Division Commander of the 43d Infantry Division consisting of National Guard units from VT, Connecticut and Rhode Island. When the division was deactivated in 1964, he commanded the 86th Armored Brigade (Separate), VT National Guard until 1968. He retired from National Guard service as a Brigadier General. He retired from the Burlington Electric Department as superintendent in 1975 and moved to Englewood, Florida where he resided until his death. While residing in Florida he continued his interest in boating and fishing. He was active with the Retired Officers Association and the Norwich University Alumni Association and a member of the Englewood Methodist Church, Englewood FL. He and Dora also did a lot of traveling, with several trips to Alaska as well as visiting his far flung family in VT, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
He and his wife are buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.